Sunday, May 3, 2009

Cinnamon Monkey Bread (Pull apart)

I love monkey bread, so I wanted to find my own recipe to make it at home. Here is the basic recipe I found from the pillsbury website:

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cans (16.3 oz each) Pillsbury® Grands!® Homestyle refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, if desired
1/2 cup raisins, if desired
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 12-cup fluted tube pan with shortening or cooking spray. In large -storage plastic food bag, mix granulated sugar and cinnamon.

2. Separate dough into 16 biscuits; cut each into quarters. Shake in bag to coat. Arrange in pan, adding walnuts and raisins among the biscuit pieces.

3. In small bowl, mix brown sugar and butter; pour over biscuit pieces.

4. Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until golden brown and no longer doughy in center. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn upside down onto serving plate; pull apart to serve. Serve warm.

Now, to add my own spin. One day, I was craving monkey bread, and I had the canned cinnamon rolls in my fridge, so I just cut the dough up and used that instead, it tasted just fabulous.. I ALMOST like it better that way. I just don't put the cinnamon and sugar in it since there is already some on the cinnamon roll dough. Also, I love icing on my monkey bread, so I use this simple recipe and drizzle it over the top while its warm:

1 c sifted powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
milk
Stir together sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to make a thin icing (usually about 1 1/2 Tbsp).

Obviously, if you use cinnamon roll dough instead, it comes with the icing that you can drizzle over it. Enjoy!! This is baking in my oven as I type this! The smell is amazing!!

No comments: