If you have never had quinoa before, you are missing out! I first tried this recipe at a neighborhood party. I was hesitant at first because I had never eaten quinoa, but I must say, It is divine!! The recipe actually comes from here. I thought it could use a little more dressing, so I changed it up just a little with some help from my cousin (who is an amazing chef). It is great warm or cold. Make it! I am so addicted!
Quinoa Salad with Black Beans, Avocado and Cumin-Lime Dressing
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 3/4 cup water ( I used chicken stock instead)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, chopped into chunks
- handful cherry tomatoes, quartered (I used much more)
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into chunks
- small handful cilantro, diced (once again, I used much more)
- 1 limes, juiced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Warm the olive/coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once it’s hot add the rinsed quinoa and toast for about 2-3 minutes until it starts smelling nutty and lovely. Add water, stir once, cover, and simmer with a lid on for 20 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare all other ingredients. Prepare the dressing by combining the lime juice, oil, cumin, salt, and rice vinegar. Whisk it aggressively. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
- When the quinoa has finished cooking, remove it from heat and fluff with a fork. Add black beans and toss to warm them through.
- Let the quinoa cool for about five minutes and then add all the remaining ingredients, including the dressing, and mix. Adjust seasoning if necessary.