Friday, September 2, 2011

Quinoa Salad


If you have never had quinoa before, you are missing out! I first tried this recipe at a neighborhood party. I was hesitant at first because I had never eaten quinoa, but I must say, It is divine!! The recipe actually comes from here. I thought it could use a little more dressing, so I changed it up just a little with some help from my cousin (who is an amazing chef). It is great warm or cold. Make it! I am so addicted!

Quinoa Salad with Black Beans, Avocado and Cumin-Lime Dressing
serves 4-6

Ingredients

  • 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
  • 1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
  • 1 3/4 cup water ( I used chicken stock instead)
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 avocado, chopped into chunks
  • handful cherry tomatoes, quartered (I used much more)
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1 small clove garlic, minced
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped into chunks
  • small handful cilantro, diced (once again, I used much more)
  • 1 limes, juiced
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • salt, to taste
** I added a splash of rice vinegar and chopped English cucumbers. It was Heavenly!**

Directions

  1. Warm the olive/coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once it’s hot add the rinsed quinoa and toast for about 2-3 minutes until it starts smelling nutty and lovely. Add water, stir once, cover, and simmer with a lid on for 20 minutes.
  2. While the quinoa is cooking, prepare all other ingredients. Prepare the dressing by combining the lime juice, oil, cumin, salt, and rice vinegar. Whisk it aggressively. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
  3. When the quinoa has finished cooking, remove it from heat and fluff with a fork. Add black beans and toss to warm them through.
  4. Let the quinoa cool for about five minutes and then add all the remaining ingredients, including the dressing, and mix. Adjust seasoning if necessary.


No comments: