Monday, August 18, 2008

Karen's Alfredo

This is my mom's creation, and always a big hit. Here's her original recipe, but I only need half for my family.

1 stick butter
1 1/2 pkg. low fat cream cheese
1-2 tsp crushed garlic, to taste
up to 3 c. fat free half and half
3 oz parmesan cheese

Make it like a white sauce. Melt butter in saucepan over med/high heat. Add cream cheese, cut in small pieces a little at a time. Add garlic, heat and stir until smooth. Slowly add cream and parmesan cheese, constantly stirring. Cook about five minutes.

Even with the low fat cream cheese and fat free half and half, this is an awesome sauce. Serve over whole wheat pasta to alleviate any guilt may feel. :)

2 comments:

teresa said...

18 months after this was posted and I finally got a chance to try it. Made this last night for my son who LOVES alfredo sauces. He said this was the best one I have made and that it was as good if not better than what you get at Olive Garden. I added about 2x the amount of garlic as we both love garlic.

I have enough sauce that I am going to try it as a pizza sauce for a variation on a white pizza.

jaesi said...

delicious! made tonight (july 12 2010)
in honor of my pregnant cheesy loving anything stage and it hit the spot!