Sunday, September 27, 2009

Southwestern Shepherd's Pie

I haven't used ground beef in a long time but I had some in my freezer that needed to be eaten so we made this yesterday and it was sooo yummy! Ya gotta give it a try.

2 T olive oil
1 med onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 T garlic, minced
1T jalapeno, minced
1 lb ground beef
1 T tomato paste
1 T chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 c. tomatoes, chopped (I used canned)
1/2 c corn
1/2 c black beans (I used a whole can)
1/4 c cilantro
1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes*, peeled and cut into chunks
2 T butter
1/2 c milk
Salt & pepper, to taste

Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring for 10 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno; cook for minutes. Raise heat to medium high; add beef and brown for 5 minutes.

Add tomato paste & spices. Cook 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, corn, beans, and half of the cilantro. Spoon into a 9x13 baking dish.

Place sweet potatoes in a saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain, mash with butter and milk. Spread potatoes over meat mixture. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, or until brown. Garnish with additional cilantro.

*My husband has a real aversion to sweet potoates so I made a corner for him with Yukon Gold and while still good, the sweet potatoes were sooooo much better.

No comments: