Friday, June 6, 2008

Zesty Jamaican Joe

I feel like this is a more grown-up version of a sloppy joe. I was very pleased with how it turned out and thought it was super delish.

1/2 lb ground beef*
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/8-1/4 cayenne pepper
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 can (14-1/2 ounce) zesty diced tomatoes with jalapeno peppers, undrained
1 can (15 ounces) black or pinto bean, rinsed & drained**
1/2 c diced green pepper
3 whole wheat hamburger buns, split***

In a skillet, cook beef, onion, garlic and cayenne until beef is no longer pink; drain. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes and beans. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Stir in green pepper. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Lightly toast buns just before serving. Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture over each half bun and serve open-faced.

*I used about 1/3 c ground turkey instead of beef
**Since I used less meat, I used both black and pinto beans
***I like it better rolled up in a tortilla than on a bun
****I also added corn, a finely grated carrot and a sprinkle of taco seasoning. I think I'll add cilantro next time.

No comments: