Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Cream of Chicken Soup

While planning my weekly menu, I decided that I would make a home made version of cream of chicken to keep in my freezer to use instead of the canned stuff. And surprise surprise! Cream of chicken soup can be edible by itself! I got the original recipe here, but since I changed it, I'll post my variation:

2 cups milk
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups finely chopped, cooked chicken meat
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder


Make a white sauce of milk or cream, flour, and oil. Add chicken. Add sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder (may use more or less as desired). Mix well and simmer for 20 minutes over low heat.

If soup is not as thick as desired, mix a small amount of cornstarch with a small amount of water and add to soup. Simmer for 10 minutes.